The highly-anticipated ESSENCE GU Summit is back, set to take place on November 11, 2023, in Atlanta, Georgia. Known as the premier cultural and creative hub of the South and home to the largest consortium of Historically Black Colleges and Universities (HBCUs) in the country, Atlanta provides the ideal backdrop for this year's summit. With the theme, "The Era of Disruption," GU invites Zillenials to utilize their unique paths, ideas, and trends to celebrate all facets of the Black experience.
This one-day event promises to be a safe space for young Black women, girls, and gender-expansive youth to come together and engage in a day filled with panels, networking, activations, and more. ESSENCE Girls United continues to be the leading destination for young Black women, and the 2023 summit is poised to be a highlight for attendees.
The summit boasts a lineup of notable speakers, influencers, creatives, and musical performers, including the dynamic sister-duo Jordyn Woods and Jodie Woods, South African singer-songwriter Tyla, and cast members from "If Not for My Girls," BIA, Muni Long, and Pretty Vee, among many others.
Set to unfold at the PC&E sound stage in Atlanta (2235 Defoor Hills Rd. NW, Atlanta, GA 30318), the summit will feature an array of activities, including live tapings, workshops, speed mentoring sessions, and the Soko Marketplace, where attendees can support a mix of Black-owned businesses.
Notable sessions during the event include:
- A live taping of the Season 5 cast of "If Not for My Girls," featuring BIA, Muni Long, and Pretty Vee.
- "Disrupt or Be Disrupted" with Caroline Wanga, ESSENCE Ventures President & CEO.
- "Partner in Prime" with Jordyn Woods, CEO & Founder of Woods by Jordyn, and Jodie Woods, Influencer & Entrepreneur.
- "Backstage Pass" with Aleali May, Fashion Blogger, Model, and Sneaker Designer, and Anifa Mvuemba, Fashion Designer and Founder & Creative Director of Hanifa.
- "Cut the Dupe" with Aliyah’s Interlude, Fashion Creator, and YungBBQ, Comedian.
- "Industry Talk" featuring Shawna Spears, Vice President of Brand Marketing at Venice Music, Ebonie Ward, CEO/Chairwoman of Eleventh & Co, Baroline Diaz, Founder & Chairwoman of Great Day Records, and Brandra Ringo, Executive Vice President & Co-Head of A&R at Quality Control Music.
- "Medical Mania" with Dr. Jess, Mental & Health Awareness Expert.
- "On Strike," a vital conversation with changemakers in the activism space, addressing topics like affirmative action, the residential housing crisis, and student loan repayment.
Rechelle Dennis, Co-Creator of ESSENCE Girls United, emphasized, "The 2023 summit will celebrate and highlight the powerful voices and creativity among today's youth, as we come together to fellowship around topics and issues ranging from wellness to fashion and culture. The Era of Disruption aims to bring GU audiences to the forefront, as we collectively amplify the power of unity. ESSENCE GU continues to embrace the values of empowerment and leadership."
For those eager to attend, complimentary tickets can be secured by registering at https://www.essence.com/gusummit2023. The event will also be accessible virtually on ESSENCE.com and GirlsUnited.ESSENCE.com.
As November 11 approaches, anticipation builds for the fourth annual ESSENCE Girls United Disruptor Summit. This event promises to inspire, connect, and empower a new generation of leaders, creators, and disruptors, reinforcing the enduring spirit of unity and change.